Question: Why are LEDs better than incandescent bulbs?
Light bulbs are part of our day to day lives. We need light at home, in the office, on the road and outdoors. However, when it comes to choosing a bulb to use for lighting, it is important to look at the advantages of the type of bulb you want and how it is going to serve you.
For the most part, there are two different types of bulbs all around the world. The traditional bulb which is commonly known as an incandescent bulb and a LED bulb.
How to measure light
To be in a position to know the difference between the bulb you are using and the one you intend to change to, it’s important to know what you need to look out for. Let's get familiar with a lumen. A lumen is the measurement of light. Many bulbs have the same lumens, which means they have equivalent brightness. Most bulbs have their lumens listed on the packaging. When buying bulbs you should always look at the lumen output you want, then choose a bulb with the lowest wattage. In most cases the LED bulbs are superior in terms of efficiency. Let’s discuss why LEDs are better than incandescent bulbs.
Why are LEDs better than incandescent bulbs
It is well known that incandescent bulbs are the traditional bulb that has been used and is well known all around the world. However, with every invention in the world there is continuous refinement. In the case of the traditional light bulb, it has improved but not enough to satisfy consumers. Thus, the invention of LED lights came into the picture. LED lights were invented to give us more light while using less energy.
Advantages of using LED bulbs
- Cost effective
- With the introduction of led bulbs, they came with a high price tag. However, with the emergence of different companies in LED production, the prices have significantly dropped to an affordable level.
- LED bulbs are famously known for being cost effective in terms of consumption of electricity. By using LED bulbs in your home or office you save a lot of energy which will significantly reduce your electric bill.
- The mechanical process that is used to emit light: an electrical current is used to generate a bond between a negative charge and positive charge, this is called electroluminescence. This process is vital and very efficient because almost 100% of the radiated energy from any LED source is used as visible light.
- Long lasting
- LEDs are produced to serve the consumer for longer periods of time then incandescent bulbs. They produce the same amount of lights but use less energy for a longer time. LEDs save a lot in energy cost and are extremely safe for the environment. The use of minimal energy in the production of light gives it a longer life span with reduced maintenance to your fixtures.
- LED bulbs come in a vast array of options, from the color changing bulbs, bulbs that sync with voice systems, to bulbs that sync with any security system. With these kind of features and options the choice becomes easier. Simply put, when it comes to LED light bulbs the consumer gets many more options for roughly the same price.
- LEDs emit directional light. This feature eliminates the need to use diffusers and reflectors in trapping light. This feature also increases the efficiency of the bulb in many ways which include task lighting and lower downlights. This means that most of the light used is emitted in the proper direction out of your fixtures, while other types of lighting may need reflectors or diffusers to get the desired directional light.
- Resistant to shock
In terms of physical shocks, led bulbs are produced in a way that they don’t easily burn or damage with the physical touch. Hence, they are solid state lights (SSLs).
LED bulbs are exciting and have a lot more to offer compared to traditional lights.
However, it is also important to know that not all light fixtures work with LED bulbs. Always check to see what type of bulbs your fixture requires.
Let’s take a look at the disadvantages of incandescent lights.
Incandescent lights are well known to consume a lot of energy. This becomes an added cost to your electricity bill at the end of the month. About 2% of the released energy coming from an incandescent source is used in emitting light, while the remaining 98% becomes wasted heat. Incandescent bulbs become absolutely expensive as they burn out regularly and normally require replacement bi-annually.
These traditional bulbs use a filament that is encased by glass which makes it fragile compared to LEDs, hence it cannot resist any physical shock.
Though they are cheaper than the LEDs, they don’t seem to have a longer life span and are not as safe for the environment.
Looking at the bigger picture, your chance of benefiting from using LED bulbs for lighting is much higher due to longer life, lower energy cost, light color choices and wireless control options. The question was "Why are LEDs better than incandescent bulbs?" we hope that we have answered that question and helped you in making the right decision.
It’s clear that LEDs have been created in order to replace traditional bulbs and we think there are many good reasons for that. The best thing about using LEDs is that we are able to get a better product that is safer for the environment.
Have questions? Leave us a comment below.